|KnotMaker 2.2||Written by Derek Smith and Dave Root|
|Help - View in KnotTyer3D window|
|Help > View in KnotTyer3D window|
The "View in KnotTyer3D" window allows you to view your drawing in the free KnotTyer3D program. You'll need to download and install KnotTyer3D before you can use this feature in KnotMaker.
This window contains the following options:
- "Path for the KnotTyer3D.exe file" textbox: After KnotTyer3D is installed on your machine, enter the path for the KnotTyer3D.exe file so that KnotMaker can run it.
- "Browse" button: Allows you to select the path for the KnotTyer3D.exe file on your machine.
- "Crossing Depth" textbox: Allows you to adjust the depth when part of a rope travels behind another part of a rope in KnotTyer3D. Try different values between 0 and -1. The default value is -0.5.
- "Remove All Gaps in Layers" checkbox: If this checkbox is selected then the program will move every tile (including pinned tiles) up as many layers as possible in order to remove all of the empty layers between tiles. This happens "behind the scenes" and won't affect your drawing. This usually produces the best 3D images in KnotTyer3D.
If this checkbox is not selected then your drawing will be displayed in KnotTyer3D without any modifications.
- "Run KnotTyer3D" button: Runs KnotTyer3D and displays your drawing.
First, your drawing will be exported in the KnotTyer3D format. The export file will be saved in the folder where your KnotMaker drawings are saved, and the export file will always be called "From_KnotMaker.kt3." To save the KnotTyer3D image after it's displayed, click the "KT3 Editor" menu item in the KnotTyer3D program and then click the "File/Save KT3" menu item.
- "Close" button: Closes the window.
- "Help" button: Pops up this Help file in your Web browser (an internet connection is not needed).
When viewing a drawing in KnotTyer3D, some machines render the 3D images more accurately than others. The "Remove All Gaps in Layers" checkbox (described above) might improve the 3D display on your machine.
KnotTyer3D has a "KT3 Editor" menu option, which opens up an editor window to allow you to tweak how the knots are displayed. On the left side of the editor window you'll see a wire-frame image of your drawing, and on the right side are the coordinates which you can tweak:
Clicking on the wire-frame image will draw new rope segments in your drawing, which isn't the goal here. To tweak your drawing so it displays properly in KnotTyer3D, you need to modify the coordinates on the right side of the editor window.
When you click on a set of coordinates (e.g. "7, 8, 0" in the above picture), the coordinate point will be displayed as a black circle on the wire-frame picture to help you identify the coordinates which need to be tweaked. In addition, the KnotMaker tile number associated with that coordinate point (e.g. "KnotMaker tile #19") is displayed above the coordinates to help you identify the place which needs to be tweaked. The following picture shows the full set of KnotMaker tile numbers:
In each set of KnotTyer3D coordinates (e.g. "7, 8, 0"), the first two numbers are the column and row in KnotMaker. The third number determines how far the rope bends away from the front of the knot (if the value is negative). For example, -1 will make the rope bend farther away than -0.5 will.
To fix any display problems, simply find the coordinate which needs to be tweaked and then change the third number.
If you see a 'C' in the KnotTyer3D coordinates, this indicates the start of a new rope.
After tweaking the third number for the appropriate coordinates, click the "File/Save KT3" menu item to save the file, then close the editor window to re-display the knot.
If the rope is being tied incorrectly in KnotTyer3D, see the Individual Ropes Help file for the logic which KnotMaker uses when building its internal representation of the knot(s) in your drawing. This will help you modify your drawing so the knot(s) are tied correctly in KnotTyer3D.
- January 09, 2013 - Updated for v2.1.
- May 19, 2012 - New page.